SPRINGERVILLE, AZ, November 17, 2020 – The Lakeside Ranger District plans to burn the Show Low polishing ponds and Pintail Lake #2, weather permitting, on Wednesday, November 18th.
In cooperation with Arizona Game and Fish and City of Show Low, Forest Service Fire Managers have prepared approximately 20 acres to be treated near Pintail Lake. This treatment will help wildlife improve and maintain the wetland and riparian ecosystems by reducing dead fuels and stimulating new growth of wetland vegetation.
Prescribed burn locations
• Marsh Burn: Locations are three miles north of Show Low on the east and west side of AZ State Highway 77, near Telephone Lake and at Pintail Lake (T10N, R22E, Sections 5 & 32).
Minimal smoke impact is expected and may be visible from Arizona State Highway 77, U.S. Highway 60, Show Low, and Linden. Fire crews will be on scene from the beginning of ignitions until there is no longer a threat of escape from the project boundaries.
All prescribed burns are approved through the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) before ignitions begin. ADEQ monitors air quality and determines whether or not it will be a good day for smoke dispersion. Breaking larger burn areas into smaller acreages often limits the amount of smoke that impacts an area.
Although smoke from prescribed fire can still be a nuisance, it is usually for a shorter time, and considerably less smoke than wildfires produce. If you are sensitive to smoke or have respiratory problems, stay indoors if possible. To find helpful resources visit the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests website at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/asnf/fire.
The public can obtain additional information via the following:
• Local Ranger Station: Lakeside RD (928) 368-2100
• 311 Information at (928) 333-3412
• Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/asnf
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/A_SNFs
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/apachesitgreavesnfs